Friday, December 31, 2010

Break-up ke baad

He lay shattered on the bed on his stomach. He tilted his head towards right and the picture at the centre of the wall appeared before him. She was seated on a chair and he was standing behind her with his arms around her. They had taken the photograph at a studio and both of them had got it framed it and put up on their walls. "How lovely they looked together!", everybody had remarked.

They indeed looked great together but it was over now. He had texted her yesterday and clearly told her that it was time they parted ways. It wasn't an amicable break-up. They had had a huge altercation before that. And, altercations had become the norm over the past few months.

He decided that he must stop thinking about the past and move on. He switched his on laptop and opened facebook's log-in page. He stopped while typing the password; he couldn't even type her name anymore. Disgusted, he shut his laptop down and went to the balcony. He put a cigarette between his lips, lit it and took a long puff. He remembered she used to hate his smoking habit and how she used to snatch the cigarette from his mouth everytime he'd smoke around her. "God, single life is great", he thought. "Freeeedom!", he screamed. The uncle, sipping the morning tea in the balcony opposite to his, got startled. He smiled and went inside.

"It has been ages since I wrote an anything", he thought, "and they say that some of the best pieces of literature are written after nasty break-ups". He sat on his study table, opened a notepad and pulled a pen from the pen-stand. Now was the difficult part - he had no idea what to write. Several options lay before him, but he narrowed them down to a love story or a poem. The genre had to be romance because the artist in him wanted to extract maximum advantage from their break-up. The problem with stories is that it takes so long to build a plot that most of the time one gets bored and abandons the idea. "Poem it is then", he thought and put the pen down on the paper.

The next few lines went so smoothly that he was amazed when he had done writing them. It was as if someone had held his hand and helped him write.

" I fall down and I get up
I start running in a gallop
I hear footsteps chasing me and I look behind
She is following me but I think I've lost my mind.

It's impossible because I had left her far away
It's astonishing how she always knows my way
There's no stopping me this time around;
There're bigger things for which I am bound

I run longer than Forrest Gump
and when i reach a wonderland, I jump
on seeing people dancing and birds chirping.
It suddenly saddens to think of what I've been missing.

Never fall in love, they say
I object, I say "Nay".
Sure, love has played a hand
In helping me find the wonderland. "

Without reading the poem and feeling satisfied with the effort, he closed the notebook. He logged back into facebook, changed the password and changed his relationship status to "single".

22 comments:

Aniket said...

The typical plot type starting made me wonder what the story held. And then I completed it and found the message. Smiled :)

Beautiful.

arjun_tornado said...

nice touch... and nice poem from someone who hasn't had a break up himself :)
but where did this come from?

kay gee said...

@ Aniket -

i had just posted the story on the blog without sharing it elsewhere thinking that i must add more to it. but, i guess you found it on google/reader. shared it after your endorsement. thanks mamme! :)

@ Arjun -

exactly, but it does have an inspiration. i've written a poem after 12 years; so that felt good!
thanks.

SATYAANVESHI said...

"It's impossible because I had left her far away
It's astonishing how she always knows my way"
reminds me of Ghalib,
zah-e-karishma ke yoon de rakha hai humko fareb
Ke bin kahe hi unhe sab khabar hai kya kahiye

And there's a book I was reading about post-breakup soul searching, 'High Fidelity', similar fundaes :)

kay gee said...

@ mmanu - Woa, I feel flattered!

Anonymous said...

Good one. Can totally relate to it!

Apurv said...

Wrote like a true professional. Impressed. :)

Guess this is the first poem of yours that I have ever read. 'twas very nice.

Don't give another long hiatus before writing again.

Apurv said...

I'm reading a novel these days, "Ofcourse I love you... till I find someone better". Somehow the stories of your post and the novel got mixed up in my head and now I'm confused. :S

kay gee said...

@ pratyu -

Oh, good. thanks.

@ Ork-

thanks, i will.
Good to see my post making an effect on people's mental state :D

harshit said...

well written..as orky said Impressed .

Rampy said...

Everything's fine and dandy .......... but when did u start fagging????

kay gee said...

@ dopa - thanks for reading :)

@ rampy - that's not me, and it's fiction.

Unknown said...

@ KG.
Very well written brother.
Nice idea of a post break up situation.
You wish it were as easy as changing your facebook password! :)

kay gee said...

@ Shailesh - of course it's not. but then, sometimes you try hard to muster hope by doing such silly things, don't you?
Thanks for appreciating.

Ram said...

nice flow throughout the post KG, kudos!

Shruti said...

nice poem..hope the inspiration didnt come from ur personal life :)

kay gee said...

@ Ram, Shruti- Thanks :)

Sumedh V. Vidwans said...

Ati-sundar KG!!

Loved the last paragraph of the poem :).

Ashtung said...

always been a fan of your detailed accounts... bang on, yet again

kay gee said...

@ sumedh, jaanwar -

flattered! thanks, really! :D

Trioenix said...

nice flow, was absorbed in it... beautifully written. :)

"The next few lines went so smoothly that he was amazed when he had done writing them. It was as if someone had held his hand and helped him write." -I've experienced it, exactly same thing has happened with me a couple of years back.

just wish that moving on, in real life was indeed as easy as changing FB password and relationship status!

kay gee said...

@ Prajwala -

thanks a lot.
it really feels good when someone quotes lines from the story and appreciates them, or tells how they've experienced the same thing.

@ everybody -

will write more soon. this has indeed bolstered my confidence.
for humour-sake, here's a melodious and famous (Marathi) song by the name "Break-up ke baad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr0zb1uHZLM

Share

Share |
Creative Commons License
blog page by aneesh bangia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 India License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.somethingisfishy.blogspot.com.